Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Judi M. Phelps
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces skinned, and trimmed of excess fat
- all purpose flour, for dusting the chicken
- 1½ to 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 small yellow onions, finely diced
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes or 8 oz can whole plum tomatoes preferably low sodium, drained and chopped
- 2 small bunches fresh spinach, about 1 lb, thoroughly washed stemmed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 3 whole cloves
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp good-quality curry powder
- salt to taste, optional
- ¼ cup skim milk
- Dust the chicken with the flour and using about half of the oil, lightly brown on both sides in a large skillet over medium heat.
- After the chicken is browned, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, heat the rest of the oil and cook the onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, garlic, spices, and salt, if desired, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Place the vegetable mixture in a 3- or 4-quart ovenproof casserole dish, arrange the chicken pieces on top, cover tightly, and bake until the chicken is tender, 40 – 45 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
For serving size: 2 pieces of Chicken:
- Calories 244 | protein 27 g | carbohydrates 8.1 g | fat 9.38g | sodium 161 mg
- Exchanges: 3 lean meats, 1½ vegetables