- Beat margarine or butter with a mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds or by hand.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Beat in egg and flour.
- Add chopped almonds if using.
- Roll dough to ⅛ inch thickness on a lightly floured board and cut into shapes (windmills and Sinterklaas / Santa shapes are traditional but we also cut them into the children's initials).
- Decorate with whole almonds if using.
- Place one inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake in 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool 1 minute, transfer to wire racks to cool completely.