Makes 2 pie crusts. The secret to flakey crust is to mix the dough just enough to incorporate the ingredients then stop. Often I add a dash of vinegar in the ice water, it's a matter of personal preference. by Spud Nut
- 2 cups spelt flour (white or whole)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup cold organic butter
- ⅓ cup cold organic shortening
- 5 – 7 tablespoons ice cold water
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening with pastry knife until pieces are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in 1 tbsp water at a time.
- Gently mix.
- Repeat until all is moist and forms a ball.
- For 2 pie crusts, cut ball in half - one for each pie crust.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten ball with rolling pin and roll to desired thickness.
- Transfer to pie tin or this dough also may be filled with meats/or fruit.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (111g, not including spelt flour):
- Calories 578 | Calories from Fat 583 (100%)
- Total Fat 64.8g 99% (Saturated Fat 33.2g 165%, Polyunsat. Fat 4.9g, Monounsat. Fat 23.1g, Trans Fat 0.0g) | Cholesterol 100mg 33% | Sodium 1381mg 57% | Potassium 9mg 0% | Total Carbohydrate 0.0g 0% (Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%, Sugars 0.0g) | Protein 0.3g 0% | Vitamin A 944mcg 18% | Vitamin B6 0.0mg 0% | Vitamin B12 0.1mcg 1% | Vitamin C 0mg 0% | Vitamin E 1mcg 3% | Calcium 10mg 1% | Magnesium 1mg 0% | Iron 0mg 0% | Alcohol 0.0g Caffeine 0.0mg