- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- ¾ cup raw rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- bottled hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cubed ham
1.In a large skillet, heat oil over low heat.
2.Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender, but not brown, about 5 minutes.
3.Stir in undrained tomatoes, rice, sugar, chili powder, pepper, hot pepper sauce (optional), water, and ham.
4.Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Ham Water Added by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe