Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Spanish rice with Italian tomatoes and American pickling spices shows you how homogeneous we've really become. This dish is really a treat. Serve it all by itself for a vegetarian main dish, as can be done with many hearty rice dishes.
- From Dinah's Kitchen
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: My old recipes
- Serves 6 to 8
- 1 tbsp whole mixed pickling spices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp soft butter
- ½ cup Italian tomatoes, sliced into small wedges (if Italian tomatoes are not available, use peeled fresh tomatoes, seasoned with a little salt and pepper)
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- Wrap pickling spices in cheesecloth and tie securely.
- Mix chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt, cayenne and pickling spices in large pan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Saute rice in hot oil in skillet until boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Saute rice in hot oil in skillet until coated and light beige.
- Add to broth mixture.
- Bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Leave rice covered.
- Don't remove lid, until ready to serve.
- If anybody is really late, and you have held rice longer than 1 hour, turn heat to low, set rice over asbestos pad or larger skillet filled with hot water and heat through.
- Don't let it burn.
- Remove spice bag.
- Add 1 tbsp Soft butter.
- Sprinkle cold tomatoes and peppers over all.