Fruits and Veggies Matter, Adult Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—public domain government resource
This Spanish-inspired rice dish includes shrimp and lots of vegetables. Try this one-dish meal that’s ready in minutes.
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup rice (dry)
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- ¾ cup diced zucchini
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 x 14-oz can tomatoes with no sodium added
- 1 x 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp saffron
- Heat olive oil in oven-safe large skillet. Add garlic and onion. Stir for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add rice, red pepper, zucchini, and ½ cup of chicken broth. Stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except shrimp. Stir and place skillet in the oven.
- Bake at 375 °F for 20 minutes. Add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turns pink, about 5 minutes.
- If you don't have saffron on hand, use yellow rice. Look for it next to other rice varieties in the grocery store.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth instead for chicken broth and omit the shrimp.