Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fruits and Veggies Matter, Adult Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—public domain government resource
This Spanish-inspired rice dish includes shrimp and lots of vegetables. Try this one-dish meal that’s ready in minutes.
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup rice (dry)
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- ¾ cup diced zucchini
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 x 14-oz can tomatoes with no sodium added
- 1 x 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp saffron
- Heat olive oil in oven-safe large skillet. Add garlic and onion. Stir for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add rice, red pepper, zucchini, and ½ cup of chicken broth. Stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except shrimp. Stir and place skillet in the oven.
- Bake at 375 °F for 20 minutes. Add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turns pink, about 5 minutes.
- If you don't have saffron on hand, use yellow rice. Look for it next to other rice varieties in the grocery store.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth instead for chicken broth and omit the shrimp.