Spanish Omelet from the National Diabetes Education Program Recipe and Meal Planner Guide, public domain government resource
- Serves: 5
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable cooking spray
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1½ cup green/red peppers, sliced thin
- 5 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 5 egg whites, beaten
- Pepper and garlic salt with herbs, to taste
- 3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- In a nonstick pan, add oil or vegetable spray and warm at medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until brown. Add vegetables and sauté until tender but not brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat the eggs and egg whites, pepper, garlic salt, and mozzarella cheese. Stir egg-cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.
- Oil or spray a 10-inch pie pan or ovenproof skillet. Transfer potatoes and eggs mixture to pan. Spread with parmesan cheese and bake omelet until firm and brown on top, about 20–30 minutes.