Melding a traditional cream of Chicken soup with the classic Spanish almond soup called "cebollada con almendras" results in this rich and creamy mixture with pronounced almond overtones.
- In a heavy-bottomed, 4-quart saucepan, cook the onions, garlic, fennel, and thyme in the olive oil over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sherry, reduce the heat to moderate, and cook 5 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock, almonds, and cream and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and cook 25 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook 5 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each portion with parsley just before serving.