Canned beans help to short cut the cooking process and turns out wonderfully in this filling soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh onions or frozen onions, about 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 cup frozen bell peppers, stir-fry mixed red, green, and yellow peppers; do not thaw
- ⅓ cup Spanish ham or prosciutto, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large whole bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (1 lbs) cans black beans, with their liquid
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can beef broth
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice, reheated
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over high heat about 2 minutes.
- Add onion, stir fry mix, ham, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and coriander.
- Stir well to coat, reduce heat to medium, cover and allow tastes to mingle for about 10 minutes add beans and liquid, broth, and sherry; adjust heat so soup bubbles slightly, cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper to serve, mound ½ cup rice in each of heated large soup plates.
- Ladle in soup, then top with scattering of hard-cooked egg and parsley.