Cook Time: About 60 minutes
- Serves: 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 x 3-lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3½ cups chicken broth, fat removed
- 4 cups water
- Saffron or Sazón, for color
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- or capers for garnish, if desired
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to brown.
- Add the chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, saffron (Sazón), and tomatoes. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the casserole simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, corn, and beans, and cook for 8–10 minutes. When everything is hot the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.