Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Source: Diabetic Cooking Magazine
- Submitted by: dlife
- 9 Servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef round
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 9 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Heat large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add beef, onion, celery and water.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in tomatoes and green chilies, tomato sauce, brown sugar, cumin and salt; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Serve on whole wheat buns.
- Garnish as desired.
- Green chilies add some heat to these sloppy joes, but if you prefer them plain, just add an equal amount of tomatoes without chilies.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1 bun with ⅓ cup meat mixture, without garnish):
- Calories 190 (19% of calories from fat) | Total Fat 4g | Protein 13g | Carbohydrate 26g | Cholesterol 15mg | Sodium 413mg | Dietary Fiber 1g | Saturated Fat 1g | Calcium 60mg | Iron 3mg | Vitamin A 37 | Vitamin C 7mg