- Southern peaches
- 9 large, ripe peaches, peeled
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- pecan Shortbread
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Soft whipped cream, optional
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter a large baking sheet, and set aside.
3. To make pecan Shortbread: cream butter, flour, Sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl, using an electric beater, until dough is smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, and beat again. Stir in pecans. Pinch off a piece of dough, and roll into a 1-inch ball. Place on cookie sheet, and press flat with tines of a fork. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Bake cookies until golden but not brown, for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and, while still warm, sprinkle both sides with Sugar. Set aside to cool.