This version of cheese sauce is mixed with sour cream for extra zest. Cream cheese sometimes works for this recipe, too, and is great with seafood, chips, vegetables, meat, and poultry.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 ½ cup milk, regular or low-fat only
- 1 cup cream cheese, optional
- 1 cup grated cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Parmesan, Provolone, or Colby) or 2 cups cheese sauce
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Stir in ¼ cup flour with 4 tablespoons margarine; add gradually while stirring.
- Cook until mixture thickens. Add 1 ½ cup milk, 1 cup cream cheese (if desired), 1 cup grated cheese (or 2 cups cheese sauce), and 1 cup sour cream to the flour-margarine mixture.
- Cook until cheese simmers. Pour into a bowl.
- Serve hot and use as a dip. Reserve the cheese-based sauce in the refrigerator but wrap this with the aluminium foil.