This version of cheese sauce is mixed with sour cream for extra zest. Cream cheese sometimes works for this, too, and is great with seafood, chips, vegetables, meat, and poultry.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 ½ cup milk, regular or low-fat only
- 1 cup cream cheese, optional
- 1 cup grated cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Parmesan, Provolone, or Colby) or 2 cups cheese sauce
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Mix with ¼ cup flour with 4 tablespoons margarine; add gradually while stirring.
- Cook until mixture thickens. Add 1 ½ cup milk, 1 cup cream cheese (if desired), 1 cup grated cheese (or 2 cups cheese sauce), and 1 cup sour cream to the flour-margarine mixture.
- Cook until cheese simmers. Pour into a bowl.
- Serve hot and use as a dip. Reserve the cheese-based sauce in the refrigerator but wrap this with the aluminium foil.