Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 lb kidney beans
- 2 qts water
- ¼ lb salt pork, diced
- 1 cup finely chopped scallions, including the green tops
- 2 sprigs parsley, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, minced
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 tbsp Scotch bonnet-type chile
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup hot water
- 6 individual shots dark Haitian rum
- Pick over the beans, wash them, and put them into a large saucepan or stockpot.
- Add the water and other ingredients, except the rum.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Then lower the heat, and simmer for 2½ to 3 hours, until the beans are very tender.
- Purée the soup in a food processor or put it through a food mill.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings and return the soup to the pot, adding up to 1 cup hot water to bring the soup to a thick, but not pasty, consistency and serve hot.
- At each place, serve a cordial glass of dark Haitian rum, which the diners should add to their soup before tasting it.