Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Haitian pumpkin soup. (French Caribbean pumpkin, beef and rice soup)
- 1 lb salt beef
- 1½ lbs pumpkin, peeled & diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup rice, washed (uncooked, not instant)
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 2 - 4 teaspoons butter
- In a saucepan, cover beef generously with water and boil over medium low heat, partially covered for 1 hour.
- Drain and chop beef into bite-sized pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil; add pumpkin, beef, onions, parsley, thyme, and 1 clove garlic.
- Simmer until pumpkin is tender (15 minutes).
- Discard parsley and thyme.
- Transfer pumpkin to food processor with ¼ cup stock and puree.
- Return to saucepan and heat through.
- Add milk, nutmeg, butter, and rice; cook until rice is tender (15–20 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper, and mix in remaining clove of garlic.
- Serve hot with a little butter in each bowl.