Armenian spiced dried sausage
- Makes 8 5x6 pieces
- 10 lbs lean ground chuck or undercut
- ⅓ cup salt
- 1½ oz curry powder
- 1½ oz cloves
- 1½ oz kimion
- ⅓ cup black pepper
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup allspice
- ⅜ oz paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Mix all spices and sprinkle over meat.
- Knead until well blended.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Mix again and add more spices according to taste.
- Again refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare two cloth bags 10x14 inches.
- Divide meat in half and fill bags.
- Take two sticks (about 12" long), one for each bag, and place at open end of bag.
- Wrap cloth around stick firmly and sew in place, leaving ends exposed.
- With a rolling pin spread the meat inside bag to all corners to fill air space lake some string loops on extended ends of stick and hang out to dry in cold, dry sunny weather.
- Bring bags in at sundown and refrigerate overnight.
- Repeat this process for 2 weeks, then cut bags away from meat and then cut up partially dried meat into quarters.
- Thread a string through each piece and hang out to dry uncovered for one more week, refrigerating at night.
- When done, wrap each in aluminum foil and refrigerate or freeze. Use as needed.
- Note: casings may be used instead of cloth bags.