Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- ¾ lb ground pork
- ¾ lb ground beef
- ½ lb Hungarian sausage
- 2 raw eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp peppercorns
- ¾ lb of rice
- 2 large bay laurel leaves
- 2 white onions chopped
- 3 tbsp shortening (use corn, peanut oil or lard).
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 bottle or pack of sauerkraut
- White the chopped onion in shortening, and place in mixing bowl with ground meats, raw eggs, cooked rice, paprika, salt.
- Mix well.
- Take out the core of the cabbage.
- Leave head whole.
- Place in large pot of boiling water to wilt the outer leaves.
- You will be able to gently pull off whole cabbage leaves.
- Trim off thick center vein of cabbage leaves. Make a pile of leaves on your work station. You may want to shake excess water off.
- Place 2 tbsp of meat and rice mixture on a leaf (starting at the thick end) and roll it up and tuck in ends with your finger.
- Make as many as you can.
- Arrange the rolls in cooking pot.
- Put a few chunks of sausage here and there between the rolls.
- Cover the rolls two-thirds full of water, arrange rinsed sauerkraut on top, sprinkle over the peppercorns and the bay leaves on top, cover and cook slowly for about 1½ hours, or until the rice is tender.