- 1 lb. of dried black beans
- 1/2 lb. of cooking Ham ( Ham Steak) sliced into cubes
- 2 - bay leaf
- 1 - Tablespoon of oregano
- 6 - Tablespoons of sofrito ( check the foundation page for this recipe)
- 2 - Quarts of cold water
- 4 - Table spoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place beans in a 6 to 8 quart soup pot check an remove any that damaged or broken , remove any stones. Rinse under cold running water and drain.
- If you plan to make the soup on the next day let them soak over night in water just enough to cover them. On the next day drain water and add 2 quarts of fresh cold water and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and let simmer.
- If you plan to have them the same day put enough cold water to cover the beans place on the range with high heat and bring to a boil. Turn off burner and let stand for 1 hour.
- In a hot frying pan pour in 4 Tablespoons of olive oil and 6- Tablespoons of sofrito, cook slowly over medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes and then add the cubes of Ham. Continue sautéing until the flavors have combined and the sofrito has reached a light brown in color. Remove contents of pan and pour in bean pot. return pan to the stove and de glaze pan with 1 cup of broth from the soup pot.
- Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan and reduce the liquid by half. Pour remaining liquid into the soup pot. #Add remaining ingredients and let simmer slowly stirring occasionally Allow to cook covered for 1 hour then remove cover and let broth thicken to a not to thick consistency. This soup is delicious with Teaspoon or two of chopped raw Onion sprinkled on top.
- Note: You can use this recipe for a black bean dish by using less liquid.