Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chilean hearty lentil chowder with chorizo.
- 55 minutes
- 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 ounces chorizo sausages, peeled and sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup pumpkin, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced into 1-inch rings
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups lentils, pickled over and rinsed
- 1 small celery rib, with leaves
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2½ – 3 quarts water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot.
- Add the chorizo, onion, and pumpkin; cook over high heat, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Add the leeks, garlic, and tomato, and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Tie the celery, parsley and bay leaves together w/kitchen string and add along with the lentils to the soup pot.
- Add enough water to cover the lentils by 2 inches, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper, add the potato cubes, and simmer until the vegetables are soft, 15 minutes.
- If necessary, add more water.
- Before serving, discard the herb bundle, and taste for seasoning.
- Serve the soup piping hot, garnished with the parsley.