Chilean hearty lentil chowder with chorizo.
- 55 minutes
- 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 ounces chorizo sausages, peeled and sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup pumpkin, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced into 1-inch rings
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups lentils, pickled over and rinsed
- 1 small celery rib, with leaves
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2½ – 3 quarts water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot.
- Add the chorizo, onion, and pumpkin; cook over high heat, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Add the leeks, garlic, and tomato, and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Tie the celery, parsley and bay leaves together w/kitchen string and add along with the lentils to the soup pot.
- Add enough water to cover the lentils by 2 inches, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper, add the potato cubes, and simmer until the vegetables are soft, 15 minutes.
- If necessary, add more water.
- Before serving, discard the herb bundle, and taste for seasoning.
- Serve the soup piping hot, garnished with the parsley.