Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Shrimp Soup with Rice Stick Noodles
- 4 oz rice stick noodles (rice vermicelli)
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 large shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp balichão, optional
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Put noodles in a medium bowl, cover with warm water, and soak until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Then drain noodles and set aside.
- Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells, and set aside.
- Put shells in a large pot, add 6 cups water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer broth for 15 minutes.
- Strain broth, discarding shells, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Remove garlic and discard.
- Add shallots and cook until soft, about 1 minute.
- Add balichão, if using, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp broth, bring to a simmer, then add shrimp, noodles, and tomatoes.
- Simmer soup until shrimp just turn pink, about 3 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Garnish soup with scallions and cilantro.