Shrimp Soup with Rice Stick Noodles
- 4 oz rice stick noodles (rice vermicelli)
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 large shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp balichão, optional
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Put noodles in a medium bowl, cover with warm water, and soak until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Then drain noodles and set aside.
- Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells, and set aside.
- Put shells in a large pot, add 6 cups water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer broth for 15 minutes.
- Strain broth, discarding shells, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Remove garlic and discard.
- Add shallots and cook until soft, about 1 minute.
- Add balichão, if using, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp broth, bring to a simmer, then add shrimp, noodles, and tomatoes.
- Simmer soup until shrimp just turn pink, about 3 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Garnish soup with scallions and cilantro.