black bean Soup
- 1 lb (450 gr.) black beans. Fresh are best but most likely you’ll find them dried.
- 8 cups (700 ml) chicken broth or water or a mix
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 10-12 sprigs cilantro (coriander leaf) fresh or frozen, not dried!
- 1 small or medium Onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 small green, red, or yellow sweet pepper
- If beans are dried, cover with water and soak overnight, if they are fresh, just rise them off.
- Drain the beans and add water or chicken broth, salt, and half of the chopped ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to very low simmer until beans are nearly soft (~ 2½ hours).
- Add the rest of the chopped ingredients, and vegetable oil, and cook an additional ½ hour.
- Add eggs for the final 2–4 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs cooked).
- Remove about half the beans and reserve for gallo pinto or to mash and refry (you can leave all the beans in but typically some are removed).