A typical version
- 6 cups of water
- 2 large sticks cinnamon
- 2 cups sherry
- 1 large sponge cake
- 3 lb of sugar
- 1 lb tenderized prunes and raisins
- 2 slices lemon
- 2 cups rum
- Soak raisins and prunes in sherry and rum overnight.
- Have a large sponge cake ready.
- Make a heavy syrup with sugar, water, cinnamon and slices of lemon; boil.
- Strain prunes and raisins and add them to the boiling syrup.
- When the syrup is cool, add the sherry and rum that the raisins and prunes were soaking in.
- Cut sponge cake in pieces and dip in liquor.
- Arrange pieces and top with raisins and prunes.
- Any liquor that remains pour over the top.