- 1 pound fresh pigeon Peas, shelled and rinsed
- 12 cups water
- pinch of salt
- (alternately, one 15-oz can of boiled pigeon Peas)
- 1 tablespoonful vegetable oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 cubanel pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 teaspoonful ground garlic
- 1/3 cup green olives stuffed with peppers or onions, diced
- 1 tablepoon capers
- 6 sprigs culantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and cut in bite-size cubes
- If using canned, boiled Peas, hold until later.
- If using fresh pigeon Peas, rinse and drain. In a large saucepan, combine the fresh peas, Beef and eight cups of water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add the diced cooking Ham (with bones), stir and cook for 15 more minutes.
- While the Beef and Peas are in the last few minutes of cooking, set a large, non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the vegetable oil. Add the Onion, cubanel pepper, bell pepper, and tomato. Saute for another two minutes, stirring a few times. Add the remaining ingredients in (C). Saute for another minute.
- Add the sauteed mix to the ingredients in the saucepan. If using canned, boiled Peas, add them at this time.
- Add the rice. Cook for about ten minutes. Add the potatoes. Cook for another fifteen minutes or until the potatoes and rice are cooked.