Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Dark molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground Cloves
- 2 cups + 1 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk and baking soda and set aside. They will foam up.
- In a larger bowl combine oil, sugar, molasses and eggs and beat until well mixed (about 1 minute). Add the buttermilk mixture and blend.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Let mixture stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto oiled cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 9 minutes until the top springs back when touched with your finger. Do not over bake. The cookies should be quite soft.
- While cookies are baking combine glaze ingredients. Remove cookies to wax paper lined wire rack. Frost while warm with 1/2 tsp of glaze for each cookie. Let cool completely.
- Transfer to trays and place in freezer to completely set if necessary or to freeze for storage. Once frozen, pack in tins in single layers separated by wax paper. These freeze well.