I found this delicious recipe in the 'Dinner Tonight!' column in the Chicago Tribune. You can marinate this for as little as 30 minutes but 2–3 hours is best. I've included the 30 minute marinading time in the prep time. If you don't have a food processor just chop the vegetables as small as possible and place in a blender with the olive oil and puree.
- 1 Onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (cored and seeded)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (cored and seeded)
- 1 bunch cilantro or flat leaf parsley
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb flank Steak, scored on both sides
- For the sofrito: puree Onion, bell peppers, cilantro and garlic in a food processor; add olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 cup of the sofrito over the flank Steak, working it into the scored crevices of the meat with your fingers; allow the meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes but 2–3 hours is best.
- Prepare grill or broiler; grill or broil the meat to the desired doneness, about 8 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Let stand 5 minutes then slice.
- Refrigerate or freeze the rest of the sofrito to use in another dish- it goes really well with sauteed Chicken.