Purchased from the Rosenthal Estate in Montgomery, Alabama in 1989. Notation on card indicates this is a World War II recipe, exact date unknown. My uncle makes this recipe every year after Deer hunting and he gets rave reviews.
- 5 pounds lean venison (he uses the shoulder)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper (more if you want it extra spicy)
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce (he uses tabasco)
- Trim all fat from meat.
- Slice meat in ½" slices.
- Place venison in cool marinade and leave overnight.
- Remove from brine and allow to air dry without rinsing.
- Place mesquite chips in smoker and smoker venison for 16 hours.