Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The genius in this sandwich is the addition of tangy unripe (green) mango, which is used here as a vegetable garnish. Pick a mango that is quite firm so you can easily cut it into small, thin matchsticks.
Any leftover mango julienne can be refrigerated in an airtight container for several weeks. If the sandwich is made a few hours in advance, you might want to drizzle a little lime juice of olive oil on the avocado to keep it from discoloring.
- Source: The Washington Post, adapted from Tom Colicchio's Wichcraft (Clarkson Potter, 2009)
- 1 small unripe mango
- ½ small lime
- flesh of ½ ripe avocado
- kosher or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices soft white sandwich bread, lightly toasted
- 2 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 4 large basil leaves
- Use vegetable peeler to peel the mango, then use it to create wide strips of the mango flesh, working your way to the core. Cut the wide strips into very thin, long matchsticks (julienne).
- Place two tablespoons of the mango julienne in a medium bowl; squeeze the lime over it (to yield about one teaspoon of juice) and toss to coat. (Reserve the remaining mango julienne for another use.)
- Lightly mash the avocado in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread it on one slice of bread.
- Top evenly with the following ingredients, in order: about 2 tablespoons of the mango julienne, the smoked salmon and basil leaves. Cover with the remaining slice of bread.
- Cut the sandwich into halves or quarters, and serve.
- 375 calories | 17 g protein | 36 g carbohydrates | 20 g fat | 3 g saturated fat | 13 mg cholesterol | 969 mg sodium | 8 g ietary fiber | 7 g sugar.