- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 (15 1/2-oz.) cans chick-Peas, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup stirred tahini (Middle Eastern sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
- 160 small fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1) Toast pitas:
2) Preheat oven to 350 °F.
3) Halve pitas horizontally and stir together oil and paprika. Brush rough sides of pitas with paprika oil and season with salt. Cut each pita round into 8 wedges and bake in single layers on a large baking sheet in middle of oven 10 minutes, or until crisp.
4) Make hummus: Finely grind cumin seeds in an electric coffee/spice grinder. Purée chick-Peas in a food processor with cumin, garlic, parsley, tahini, lemon juice, and salt and add enough water to make smooth.
5) Assemble hors d'oeuvres: Put hummus in a pastry bag fitted with a 3/8-inch plain tip. Pipe a scant 1/2 teaspoon onto each pita toast and top with 1/4 teaspoon Caviar.