- 1 lb. small red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put potatoes in a medium saucepan of lightly salted water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well, reserving some of the liquid.
- Return potatoes to pan.
- Smash with a potato masher until fairly smooth, adding a little reserved water if needed.
- Add basil, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Serve hot.