Purchased from the Black Estate in Dallas, Texas in 1990. Date and source unknown. This seems like an awful long time to cook the beans. I haven’t tried this recipe.
- 3 pounds navy beans
- 4 quarts water
- 1 pound salt Pork, 1" cubes
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup white Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Dark molasses
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- Wash beans.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Add water, salt Pork, salt and Onion.
- Mix well so beans cover Pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 14-16 hours or until beans are tender.
- When beans are tender, drain bean liquid reserving 4 cups.
- Combine reserved liquid, molasses, catsup, brown sugar and mustard.
- Add to beans and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours longer.