Slow cooked chicken breasts in a rich, peanutty, slightly spicy sauce. Use low sodium and lower fat products where possible to improve the nutrition here... take care, Gloria
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Submitted by DeltaQueen50 to eDiets.com
- Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 300 minutes | Total time: 320 minutes
- Serves 6 servings
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into ½ inch strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Place the chicken breast strips, bell pepper and onion into a slow cooker.
- Pour in the chicken broth and ¼ cup soy sauce, then season with cumin, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Stir to blend, then cover and cook on low for 4½ to 5 hours.
- Remove 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker, and mix this with the cornstarch, peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and lime juice.
- This should blend into a fairly thick sauce.
- Stir the sauce back into the slower cooker and place the lid on the pot.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice if desired.
- Garnish with green onions, cilantro and peanuts before serving.
Nutritional information Edit
- 410 Calories | 23.6 Total Fat | 18.3g Total Carbs | 34.9g Protein