Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 - 10 minutes
Yields: approximately 16 bakestones
In Welsh, slapan stands for the pan where this griddle cake is cooked. Slapan is related to the famous welshcake except that you fry a thick batter rather than a pastry.
- 225g/8oz Flour
- 50g/2oz Butter
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- A Pinch Bicarbonate of Soda
- A Pinch of Baking Powder
- 50g/2oz Dried Fruit (e.g. sultanas, raisins)
- 50g/2oz Sugar
- A little milk (if necessary)
- In a large mixing bowl, rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it is well blended and resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the eggs and remaining ingredients and beat to make a thick batter.
- Heat a griddle or large frying pan until hot.
- Place spoonfuls of the batter mixture onto the hot griddle and cook on both sides
- To serve - split in two and smother with salted butter. Eat whilst still hot.