Latvian sour cream soup. This soup is eaten cold, with herring, or bread and butter, in hot weather.
- Wash barley.
- Place in saucepan, add water, and cook until tender.
- Let it cool until it has reached a temperature of about 85°F (30°C).
- Meanwhile let all remaining ingredients (except sour cream) come to room temperature.
- To the lukewarm cooked barley and water, add the buttermilk, (sweet) milk, sour milk, and leave it all to ferment in a warm place (about 6 – 12 hours).
- Then chill for 6 – 12 hours.
- Before serving, add the sour cream.