Beans, Light Kidney, Dry by the USDA, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 pound smoked beef sausage, cut crosswise into ½-inch thick slices
- 8 ounces uncooked orecchiette or medium shell pasta
- 1 jar (16 to 17 ounces) Alfredo sauce
- 1 can (15½ to 19 ounces) Great Northern or other white beans, rinsed, drained
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile place beef sausage in large skillet; add enough water to cover bottom of skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat about 7 minutes or until sausage browns slightly, stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Remove and reserve 5 or 6 sausage slices.
- Add Alfredo sauce, beans and chopped basil to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine pasta and sausage mixture in serving dish, tossing lightly. Sprinkle with pepper, as desired, and pine nuts. Top with reserved sausage slices. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.