Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Midwest Living
- Prep: 1 hour | Chill: 5 hours
- Makes 8 servings
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved
- ⅔ cup tequila
- 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp and/or tilapia, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped, peeled jicama
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 3 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro
- ⅔ cup fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced
- tortilla chips
- Place the jalapeno pepper halves in a small bowl.
- Pour tequila over pepper.
- Cover bowl and let stand at room temperature for 48 hours.
- Remove and discard the jalapeno.
- For ceviche, in a large skillet bring 1-inch of water to boiling.
- Add the shrimp and tilapia; cook for 1minute (do not return mixture to boiling before timing).
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place shrimp and tilapia in a large ceramic or glass bowl.
- Stir in the green and red sweet peppers, onion, jicama, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, coconut milk, sugar, salt and the tequila.
- Cover and chill for 5 hours.
- Remove mixture from liquid with a slotted spoon and serve in martini glasses garnished with avocado slices.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- ↑ Buy 1¼ pounds shrimp in shell to get 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp. Allow 10 minutes more prep time to peel and devein the shrimp.
Nutritional information Edit
- 114 Calories | 4g Total Fat | 1g Saturated Fat | 69mg Cholesterol | 86mg Sodium | 6g Carbs | 2g Fiber | 10g Protein | vitamin C: 74% | calcium: 32% | iron: 2%