Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- Serves 6 as a first course.
- ½ lb (225 g) raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbs (15 ml) cornstarch (corn flour)
- ½ tsp (2 ml) sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 scallion (spring onion), green and white parts, finely chopped
- 1 narrow loaf French bread (baguette)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- small bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- Process the shrimp to a paste with a food processor or blender.
- Add the egg white, cornstarch, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic scallions and stir well to combine.
- Cube the French bread into slices ½ inch (1 cm) thick.
- Spread the shrimp paste over one side of each slice.
- Decorate each slice with a whole parsley "petal", stuck to the shrimp paste.
- Heat the oil in frying pan to about 375°F (190°C).
- Drop in the bread slices, shrimp side down.
- Fry until the underside is brown, then turn over and brown the other side.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.