- Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe.
- Core tomatoes; coarsely chop (makes about 3 cups); set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter; add shrimp and garlic; cook and stir until shrimp turn opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon remove to a plate.
- To skillet add reserved tomatoes, basil (if fresh is unavailable use 1 tablespoon crushed dried basil leaves), orange peel, salt, fennel and black pepper; cook and stir until tomatoes are softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in scallions and shrimp; cook only until hot, about 1 minute.