Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Raw Cashews
- 6 Whole cardamom Pods, Crushed
- 4 Dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon Stick (about 2 In.)
- 1 Teaspoon cumin Seeds
- 2 onions (1 Lb. Total), Peeled And Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Pounds Peeled, Deveined Shrimp (31 to 40 Per Lb.), Rinsed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Each chili powder, turmeric, And PepperAbout 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup Plain Whole-milk yogurt
- 2 Cups basmati rice
- 2/3 Cup lemon juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon saffron Threads, Toasted
- 1. Pour 1 Tablespoon oil Into a 10- to 12-Inch Pan Over Medium Heat.Add Cashews, cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon Stick, And cumin Seeds;Stir Until Fragrant, About 2 Minutes. Pour Into a Bowl.
- 2. in Pan, Heat Remaining Tablespoon oil Over Medium-High Heat. AddOnions And garlic; Stir Until Limp, 5 to 8 Minutes.
- 3. Stir in Shrimp, chili powder, turmeric, pepper, 1/2 TeaspoonSalt, And Nut-Spice Mixture. Cook, Stirring Frequently, Just UntilShrimp Begin to Turn Pink, 2 to 3 Minutes. Reduce Heat to Medium;Stir in yogurt. Cook, Stirring Often, Until Most Liquid HasEvaporated, About 15 Minutes. Remove bay leaves And cinnamon Stick.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a 5- to 6-Quart Pan Over High Heat, Bring 2 1/2Quarts water to a Boil. Add rice; Boil Uncovered Until AlmostTender, 7 to 8 Minutes. Drain And Pour Into a Bowl. Stir in TheLemon Juice And salt to Taste.
- 5. in a Buttered 3 1/2-Quart Baking Dish, Spread About 1/3 of RiceMixture Level. Top With 1/2 Shrimp Mixture, Spreading Level. RepeatLayers, Ending With rice. Sprinkle Evenly With saffron Threads.Cover Tightly With Foil.
- 6. Bake Biryani in a 350? Oven Until Center is Hot And rice isTender to Bite, 20 to 25 Minutes. Serve Immediately, With Raita.
Yield: Makes: 4 to 6 Servings
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories 528(27% From Fat); Fat 16g (sat 3.5g); Protein 36g;Cholesterol 182mg; Sodium 532mg; Fiber 2.7g; Carbohydrate 67g
Zinobia Lakhani, Northridge, ca
Sunset, September 2004