Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Yes, you read it correctly, this is shplo. No festive Bukharan meal is complete without Shplo. This marvelous rice dish, which generally contains onion, pieces of lamb and/or chicken, carrot slices, and raisins, is one of the most popular Bukharan dishes.
- 3 cups good rice, well rinsed,and soaked in cold water
- 3 large chopped onions
- 5 peeled carrots, cut into thin slices
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into cubes of about 1 inch
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- ⅓ cup black raisins
- fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup oil ("or" melted lamb fat)
- In a large pot, try the meat until well-browned on all sides.
- Add onion and continue to fry another 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water, cover, and cook on small flame about half an hour.
- Remove from pot.
- Place half the carrot slices in pot.
- Add meat mixture (with liquid), salt, and pepper.
- Add remaining carrot, chickpeas, and raisins in that order.
- Sprinkle on the cumin, and place the strained rice on top.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cover well and cook on a low flame for 45 minutes.
- Place on large tray in the reverse order as the pot: first the rice, etc.
- When available scatter pomegranate seeds on rice.