- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ pounds stewing lamb, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 10 cups beef stock
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into a ½-inch dice
- 1 large zucchini, cut into a ½-inch dice
- 2 carrots, cut into a ½-inch dice
- 2 big green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1½ pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 x 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- garnish: ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large Dutch oven, brown the meat in the hot oil over high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the onions and cook 5 or so more minutes, until the onions are softened and have taken on color.
- Spoon off all the fat that you can, pour in the stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 1½ hours.
- Refrigerate the soup, preferably overnight, so you can easily remove the fat.
- About an hour before serving, start chopping the vegetables.
- Bring the skimmed soup to a boil over medium heat, then add the turnip, zucchini, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, cumin, hot pepper flakes, coriander, and chickpeas.
- Cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- salt to taste, then stir in the vinegar.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with lots of finely minced cilantro.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.