This recipe is for 4 serves.
- 6 cups water
- 1¼ cup dried lentils
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 potatoes cut small pieces
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 zucchini cut small pieces
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 lemon cut into wedges
- Place the lentils, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with the water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes and celery and cook, covered, 15 minutes.
- Then add the zucchini and cumin and cook uncovered another 15 minutes, until the lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle each with lemon juice, and serve a lemon wedge with each portion.