Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a saffron rice pudding dessert recipe from Iran. I have not tried it but posted it by request. You need to allow a few hours for the rice to soak.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1½ teaspoons saffron threads, crushed and dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 6 tablespoons almonds, slivered and blanched
- 4 tablespoons unsalted pistachios, slivered or finely chopped
- ½ cup bottled rose water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 whole blanched almonds
- Start a few hours ahead of time by preparing the rice by picking out any dark or discoloured grains and then washing in a colander until the water runs clear.
- Place the rice in a large bowl or pot with the salt and enough cold water to cover by an inch and soak for about 2 hours.
- Drain the rice, then bring the 2 quarts water to a boil over a high heat.
- Stirring constantly, pour the rice in a slow thin stream.
- Turn the heat down very low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the Sugar, then add the butter and saffron mixture and continue stirring until the Sugar dissolves, the butter has melted and the rice is bright yellow.
- Stir in the slivered almonds and 1 tbsp of the pistachios and, stirring frequently, cook for 30 minutes longer or until the mixture can hold its shape almost solidly in the spoon.
- Stir in the rose water and ladle the mixture into a large, heatproof serving bowl.
- Spread it out with a spatula and sprinkle the top with two thin crossing lines of cinnamon to divide it into quarters.
- Sprinkle each quarter with the remaining 3 tbsp of pistachios and decorate with whole almonds.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until the pudding is chilled and firm.
- Serve directly from the bowl.