Roasted and grilled meats are ubiquitous throughout the Middle East. This marinade, infused with allspice and cinnamon, would be excellent on lamb or chicken as well. Tuck the grilled chunks of meat and onion into warm whole-wheat pitas.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Active time: 35 minutes | total time: 2½ hours
- Source: Eating Well, May/June 2007
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 05.21.07
- Makes 8 servings
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 lbs sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- Tahini Sauce (recipe follows or use bottled)
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, ¼ cup oil, salt, allspice, cinnamon and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place beef in a large sealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Remove the beef from the bag (discard the marinade)
- Brush onions with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Divide the beef among 6 skewers and the onions among the remaining 3 skewers.
- Grill the onions until charred and tender, 10 to 12 minutes per side.
- Grill the beef, turning once or twice, until slightly charred but still pink in the middle, about 6 minutes.
- Serve with Tahini Sauce.
- Make ahead tip: prepare through step 3 and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Nutritional information Edit
- 314 calories | 19 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono) | 55 mg cholesterol | 9 g carbohydrate | 28 g protein | 2 g fiber | 235 mg sodium | 473 mg potassium
- Nutrition bonus: Selenium (40% daily value) | Zinc (35% dv) | Vitamin C (25% dv) | Iron (15% dv)
- Carbohydrate serving: ½
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable | 4 lean meat | 1 fat