Fresh cheese dessert
- 1 gallon whole milk
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 10 pistachios, finely crushed
- 6 whole cardamom pods, seeds only, finely ground
- In a large, heavy saucepan, bring milk to the boiling over point.
- Add lemon juice and stir, until milk curdles.
- Remove from heat and let set for a few minutes.
- Pour curds into a cheesecloth.
- Tie cloth and press out excess moisture, until cheese is firm, like the curds in dry curd cottage cheese.
- Place cheese on a board, knead in sugar until the cheese is smooth.
- In a large heavy frying pan, heat ghee.
- Add sugared cheese and cook on low to medium heat for 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Otherwise it will stick or burn.
- Add crushed pistachios and ground cardamom.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour sandesh into a serving dish and smooth out by pressing down firmly with a spoon.
- Cut into equally sized portions.
- Serve either warm or chilled.