Yoghurt, almond and semolina cake
- 1 glass cooking oil
- half glass sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 glasses semolina (fine or coarse)
- 1 glass self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 glass milk (you might need less or a little more)
- about 2 tablespoons roasted split almonds
- optional: 1 teaspoon almond essence
- Make the syrup first: bring the ingredients to the boil, simmer gently for about 20 minutes, leave to cool.
- Thoroughly whisk all the ingredients for the bake (less the flaked almonds) to a thick batter like consistency (like a sponge cake mixture) - add the milk gradually, stopping when the raw cake mixture is smooth enough.
- Place mixture in greased tin and sprinkle the almonds on the top.
- Bake in medium oven (200 c) for about 60 minutes.
- Until the top is golden brown and the cake shrinks slightly from the sides of the tin.
- Pour cold syrup over hot cake, leave to cool and cut in squares for serving.