Highly alcoholic sweet treats for the Holiday season. Makes 30 rum balls.
- 10 Weet-Bix (approximately 150g of dry low-Sugar grain breakfast cereal)
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup desicated coconut
- Extra desicated coconut for coating
- 1/3 cup Sultanas
- 400mL dark rum (i.e. this recipe is not for children)
- Soak Sultanas in rum, 4–8 hours
- Crush Weet-Bix cereal to sub-pea size
- Add rum + Sultanas mix, result is quite moist
- Stir thoroughly and refrigerate, 4–8 hours
- Form into ping-pong ball sized balls
- Roll in extra coconut
- Freeze until time to serve
- Each ball is approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of a "standard drink", so put a warning on the container and keep out of reach of children
- Scale the recipe up according to how much rum you have. Go on, use the whole 1.25 litre duty-free bottle (makes 100)!
- Add nuts and the like. Crush them.
- Try other spirits: brandy, whisky.
- Try other cereals. corn flakes and tequila for a Mexican version?