- 1 1/4 lb onions peeled, chopped
- 1/2 lb Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbl butter or margarine
- 3 tbl curry powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 qt fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (optional)
- salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Major Grey chutney to taste
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onions, Apples, carrots, Raisins, garlic, and butter until onions are limp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add curry powder and flour and stir to mix well.
- Stir in broth. Stir over high heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very tender to bite, about 20 minutes.
- In a blender, whirl soup, a portion at a time, until very smooth. Return to pan. Add cream and stir often over medium heat until hot, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and add salt, pepper, and chutney to taste.
- This recipe yields 10 cups; 6 or 7 main-dish servings.
- Comments: Top servings with thin Apple slices and a drizzle of whipping cream.