Home Cookin' Kentucky Recipes from the office of Senator Mitch McConnell, public domain government resource—source of original recipe
- Serves: 8
- 2 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
- ¼ pound of bacon
- 2 small red pepper pods
- 2 cups uncooked regular rice
- Cover peas with water.
- Simmer peas, bacon and peppers in a covered pot over low heat for 1 to 1½ hours or until tender.
- Add rice, cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently until rice is cooked.
- Add more water during cooking if necessary. Add salt to desired taste.