A good Czech recipe from "The Czechoslovak cookbook". Of course you've got to be a fan of sauerkrate (although the sour cream does take some of the bite out of it).
- 1 1/2 lbs cubed sirloin
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lb sauerkraut
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 cup sour cream
- Fry Onion in shortening over medium heat until wilted, add meat, paprika, caraway seeds, and salt and brown well.
- Add 1/2 cup water, cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Add about 2/3 of the sauerkraut and simmer for 30 minutes more.
- Brown the flour in lard, stirring well, and add to meat with remaining water.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream and the remaining sauerkraut.
- Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and serve.