Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Makes 2 to 2½ cups of sauce
- 1 tbsp wasabi powder
- 1 cup mayonnaise, homemade preferably
- 1 pkg. wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil for frying wontons
- 1 ½ pounds tuna steak, 1-inch thick
- 4 tbsp chimayo pepper (or any medium-hot chile pepper)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 red onion, sliced paper thin
- 1 pkg. alfalfa sprouts
- 1 cup ponzu sauce (recipe below) or soy sauce
- ¼ cup pickled ginger
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
Ponzu sauce Edit
- ⅛ cups lemon juice
- ⅛ cups lime juice
- ⅓ cups rice vinegar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ⅛ cups mirin (Japanese rice cooking wine, available at Asian markets), alcohol burned off
- 1 small handful bonito flakes (dried tuna, available at Asian markets)
- 1 x 2-inch square kombu left whole (giant kelp, available at Asian markets or health food stores)
- Rehydrate wasabi in 2 tsp of water and mix with mayonnaise.
- Place wasabi mayonnaise in a squeeze bottle and chill.
- Cut the wontons in half to make triangles.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Drain on towels and reserve.
- Coat tuna with chimayo pepper, thyme, and oregano.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over high heat.
- When pan is very hot, add tuna and sear on each side, until the seasoning is blackened but tuna remains rare in the center.
- Slice tuna thinly (you’ll need 24 slices).
- Streak a round plate randomly with wasabi mayonnaise.
- Place a wonton triangle in the center.
- Layer with a slice of seared tuna, avocado, sprouts and onion.
- Repeat until there are three layers.
- Top with a mound of sprouts, and randomly streak with wasabi mayonnaise.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, pickled ginger, and ponzu sauce or soy sauce.
Ponzu sauce Edit
- Mix all the ingredients together and let stand for 24 hours, the strain.